Monday, August 23, 2010

Update


OK, so I haven't updated this blog in over a year. Yeesh, time gets away from me. Of course, I generally post things on my Facebook account for family, so perhaps I just need to segregate my postings, as they aren't usually interested in my SCUBA and sailing posts.

Anyway, in the SCUBA front, I have the following new regulators:
An Aqua Lung "Royal Master" - a fairly rare precursor to the Royal Aqua Master. Only made for a couple of years.

A Voit "50 Fathom" - This is the chrome, single stage downstream design. I picked it up for $20 + shipping from craigslist. It was in better shape than I feared. I am going to have Dave Ali rechrome the body, as it is flaking chrome and I'd rather not breathe that in.

I've also collected an assortment of DAAMs.

I went diving with my cousin in Wilson Lake. It was amazing clear(for a Kansas lake). I'll need to do that again.

On the sailing front, I've made a few changes. First, I sold my Hobie cat(without ever getting it wet), and bought a Macgregor 22 that I found abandoned in a storage lot. I'm trying to get it prepared to do some sailing yet this summer.

In addition, I picked up an unmarked 12' sailboat and trailer. I have cut up the hull to practice fiberglass repair, but I may opt to ditch the hull and start on a smaller project. This would leave me with a functional trailer and a functional mast and boom, along with a couple of sails and some assorted hardware. I could likely use all of it on a PDRacer, so I'm still debating that.

I took a 4 hour class in Monterey Bay, and had a blast. Captaining a 25' Yamaha in fairly heavy winds in Monterey Bay was certainly a fitting introduction. I loved every heel, and got a kick from all of the seals and sea lions which popped up and kept an eye on us.

Then, a few weeks ago, I caught the last Red Cross sailing class this season. It was also a lot of fun, and I really enjoy small boat sailing as well. I am looking for something like a Sunfish or Lazer. Only time will tell how successful I will be at finding one of those in decent condition.

Finally, I spent the last weekend teaching my kids to sail the AquaGlide. Both Tyler and Phillip caught on to it fairly quickly, and they enjoyed sailing in Cheney Lake's Sailboat Cove.

No comments: